Getting kids involved in the kitchen can be a test of patience mostly for the adult. Things that take me a few minutes will most likely be doubled or tripled if I have the kids help. But my kids love helping in the kitchen and like many sources say, kids are more likely to eat what they help prepare. My weekdays are a bit hectic but on some days, I have just one kid with me at home while the other one is at a practice. I use that as an opportunity to get some rare one-on-one me with them in the kitchen. This week, my son decided to help me make these bbq chicken french bread pizzas. He cut the bread, I cooked the chicken and he simply assembled the rest. My daughter came in right at the tail end, just in time to sprinkle some cheese and all of a sudden it became family cooking time!
My kids started cracking eggs and chopping things with a paring knife at 5 years old. My son’s been expressing more and more of an interest to cook after watching “Worst Cooks in America”? I’m not familiar with the show but apparently it’s made quite an impression on him! My hope is that we’ll be able to spend a lot more time together in the kitchen this summer. This was a great weeknight meal!
BBQ Chicken French Bread Pizza
recipe from Damn Delicious
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, diced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup KRAFT Original Barbecue Sauce, divided
- 1 (1-pound) French bread loaf, cut in half crosswise
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium high heat.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper, to taste. Add chicken and 1/4 cup BBQ sauce to the skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until cooked through, about 3-4 minutes; set aside.
- Place bread, cut-sides up, onto the prepared baking sheet. Spread remaining 1/4 cup BBQ sauce evenly over the bread slices; top with chicken, red onion and cheeses.
- Place into oven and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the cheeses have melted.
- Serve immediately, garnished with additional BBQ sauce and cilantro, if desired.